[net.news.b] Truncated messages

israel@umcp-cs.UUCP (09/01/83)

The following is the text of a message that our site received today
on net.math.

From: pct@vaxine.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.math
Subject: Examination Puzzle
Date: Wed, 31-Aug-83 10:55:41 EDT

ay either, for the same
reason. Thus, by induction, the professor can't give a surprize examination.

Where has the student gone wrong?

You'll notice that its missing the first <n> characters of message
text.  Lately I've seen a lot of messages go by like this.  I've also
seen a number of messages with empty bodies go by, which I used to
assume was someone screwing up posting news (Some of them probably
are), but a few weeks ago I saw one message which was empty but
was followed by a reply (this was on net.ai).  I later saw the
complete text of the letter on AIlist-Digest.  Does someone
know what is going on?  If not, I suggest that news administrators
from the sites on the above path check to see whether their
site has a good or bad copy of the message, and in this way
the problem can be localized.  I've already checked 'umcp-cs' and
'cvl' and found them to have bad versions.

--

~~~ Bruce
Computer Science Dept., University of Maryland

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (09/02/83)

The copy on "rlgvax" is also truncated (frustrated?).

smb@ulysses.UUCP (09/02/83)

It looks like a return of the infamous "null line missing" bug.
If there's no null line after the header, message text can get sucked
into a black hole.  Might there be an ancient version of netnews
hauting USENET?

laura@utcsstat.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (09/03/83)

Well, that article was posted by pct at vaxine, and it got here
by "vaxine!linus!utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat" and it was bad by the time
it got to utcsrgv. I haven't checked utzoo yet, but it is not anywhere
near the path from vaxine to rglvax, so I expect it will be bad at
utzoo as well...

laura creighton
utzoo!utcsstat!laura