[net.news.b] New feature - orderer

wald@mhuxd.UUCP (11/16/83)

I have run into a need for a feature in netnews which I haven't heard
discussed and (I think) would not be too complicated. I consider it
an ordering feature due to my needs but the idea can be generalized.
WHat follows is a somewhat specific explanation of a general idea:

  I'd like to see a line added to an item header of the form
	ORDER: <unix command with parameters>
THis line would get executed within readnews (or vnews or whatever) by
typing something (o for example) potentially with parameters. So say
someone does a poll and want yes/no answers. THe order line could be
	ORDER: echo "Vote $*" | mail PATH
and people could simply respond by typing "o y" or "o n".

Or I saw someone who wanted everybody to send mail saying when they saw his
news item - I didn't bother but I might have been willing to type "o"
and an order line of form   echo "Got here" | mail PATH  could have executed.

Yes I see security problems, etc.  However, I think the idea has value. My need
is so people can order what I announce (yes it would be used within local
organizational groups). E.g. I can announce that my organization's library
has a new book and if you want it type o. THis in turn would submit an order.
I imagine many organizations would find a use for such a system for
promulgating and taking orders for things they are willing to announce on
even a local piece of the net.
  Comments?
--
	Bob waldstein
	(mhuxt | mhuxd)!wald

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (11/23/83)

Date:Wed, 23-Nov-83 02:02:06 EST
Organization:MIT, Cambridge, MA

Unfortunately your examples can't work.  Most of you examples included
the command "mail PATH".  The problem is that PATH is site-dependent.
Things would have to get pretty complicated to make this work right.
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics