[net.news.b] Case sensitivity in message-ID?

rees@apollo.UUCP (06/25/84)

I recently got two articles with the following message-ids:

<300@oddjob.UCHICAGO.UUCP>
<300@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP>

My news software rejected the second as being a duplicate of the first.
I don't consider case to be significant in the "domain" part of the
message-id.  Apparently other 2.10 implementations do, or I would
never have gotten both of these (we are a leaf node).

The standards say this about message-ids:

          In order to conform to RFC 822, the Message-ID  must  have
          the format

               "<" "unique" "@" "full domain name" ">"

          where ``full domain name'' is the full name of the host at
          which  the article entered the network, including a domain
          that host is in, and unique  is  any  string  of  printing
          ASCII  characters,  not  including  "<", ">", or "@".

RFC822 makes it clear that case is not significant in the "domain"
part of a message-id.

Because my software rejected the second article, I don't know whether
the two were identical.

How were these two article IDs generated?  Were the articles themselves
the same?  Should news 2.10 implementation consider case significant
or not in message-ids?

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (06/27/84)

In article <202b777f.1147@apollo.uucp> rees@apollo.UUCP writes:

>How were these two article IDs generated?  Were the articles themselves
>the same?  Should news 2.10 implementation consider case significant
>or not in message-ids?

I don't know how UChicago got turned into UCHICAGO (or vice versa)
but you're quite right, news should ignore case in domain names.
It doesn't because it never occurred to anybody that this might be
a problem.  This applies to mail too, and very little UNIX software
ignores case there, either.  This should be fixed.

	Mark

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (07/05/84)

I reported this bug to Rick Adams <rick@seismo> and it has been fixed
for the 2.10.2 release which is due out in about two weeks or so.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@Berkeley.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

north@down.UUCP (07/06/84)

no news program should ever ever ever change an article ID, ever.
news is a database system, and the article ID is a key.
folding case or adding or changing a domain name is WRONG.
unfortunately there are versions of news on the loose that do this.
	stephen c north