[net.news.b] "Old" articles in 2.10.2

netnews@wnuxb.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (10/04/84)

Much as I like the relative ease with which 2.10.2 came up and the "old
articles" junking feature, I'm not too sure about using two weeks as
the default to call news "old" when situations like the following arise.
I'm don't know what can be done about it.  I have split the Path header
line to improve readability.

> From: td@alice.UUCP (Tom Duff)
> Newsgroups: net.lang.c
> Subject: Self-reproducing C programs
> Date: 18 Sep 84 21:12:06 GMT

In all (counting the originating and my sites), this message passed
twenty-seven (27) systems before arriving here.  It seems that there
are many sites out there that pass news only once per day (night),
as the average for this message works out to be 1.625 "hops" per day.
Would it really make much difference in terms of phone costs for these
sites to pass news twice during the night (like at 11PM and 5AM)?
BTW, this is not an isolated example.  I received about a dozen such
in the past two days.
--
Ronald W. Heiby
AT&T Something (used to be Comp Sys Div, but don't ask me now.), Inc.

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/08/84)

Inews in 2.10.2 uses the value DFLTEXP as when to consider an article too
old. What I've done is turn this into a new define (TOO_OLD) that I can
set independently of my expires. The fix is trivial and I've passed it to
Rick for inclusion in his next posting of bug fixes for 2.10.2. Another
things I've done is cause inews to save old articles in the group
'obsolete' instead of 'junk' because I find it easier to keep an eye on why
articles are being zapped that way...

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:            Chuq Von Rospach