[net.news.b] bug in vnews? that generates a core

sohail@terak.UUCP (10/10/84)

>From noao!hao!seismo!brl-tgr!nlm-mcs!rene Sun Oct  7 15:46:48 1984
> From: rene@nlm-mcs.UUCP
> Newsgroups: net.jokes.d
> Subject: Floating exception (core dumped)
> Date: 7 Oct 84 22:46:48 GMT
>
> I've been having trouble reading net.jokes - every so often I'll get a
> message with 0 lines in the body, and if I try to skip it I get the
> above error message. It also leaves my terminal in a wierd state, not
> quite c-break mode but close: return prints as ^M, but backspace works
> normally. Not all messages with 0 lines cause this; occasionally one
> that claims to have no lines actually has several, or even many. Does
> anyone else have this problem? It's really annoying because my .newsrc
> file is not updated. I posted here because the problem seems to be
> strictly net.jokes (and this isn't a joke), but if no one has any
> help, do ya'll know of some other newsgroup that might be appropriate?

This seem to be a problem in version 2.10.2.
We have noticed this where there is a artical of non-zero length
and the Lines field in the header say the the length is zero

This I think point out two bugs. The first that causes the floating point
exception and the second, why did the length field in the header get set
to zero in the first place.

sohail
--
Sohail Hussain

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!sohail
phone:	 602 998 4800
us mail: Terak Corporation, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260