[net.news.b] Messed up references line

ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (10/27/84)

I am seeing a bunch of articles with reference lines on which the last
reference is <>.  Perhaps this is a problem with 2.10.2?  Here is a list
of machines with the problem:

browngr.UUCP	digi-g.UUCP	klipper.UUCP	ncoast.UUCP	yale.ARPA
cbosgd.UUCP	genrad.UUCP	lasspvax.UUCP	umcp-cs.UUCP	zinfandel.UUCP
celerity.UUCP	itm.UUCP	loral.UUCP

					Kenneth Almquist

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (10/29/84)

Messed up how? Truncated? It seems that in order to fit on PDP-11's,
a number of the buffers in the 2.10.2 news programs shrank.
This could be yet another manifestation of the problem of short buffers.

	``Address space problems? Me? I've got a 68000!''

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,hplabs,decwrl,cbosgd,sun,nsc,apple,pyramid}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (10/29/84)

In article <910@hou3c.UUCP> ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) writes:
> I am seeing a bunch of articles with reference lines on which the last
> reference is <>.  Perhaps this is a problem with 2.10.2?  Here is a list
> of machines with the problem:
>
> browngr.UUCP	digi-g.UUCP	klipper.UUCP	ncoast.UUCP	yale.ARPA
> cbosgd.UUCP	genrad.UUCP	lasspvax.UUCP	umcp-cs.UUCP	zinfandel.UUCP
> celerity.UUCP	itm.UUCP	loral.UUCP

It's an rn problem.  In fact, it's bug #1, seen in this newsgroup.  And the
patch is fairly trivial--just change 2 lines in intrp.c from ARTID_LINE
to MESSID_LINE.

Pretty please and thank you with sugar on top patch your software.  If you
haven't got the rn patches (currently numbering 19), I will be GLAD to send
them to you.  If enough of you don't have them, I'll repost them.

At least do patch 1, because it is breaking other people's software.  PLEASE!

"I'm so embarrassed..." -- Lovable Furry Old Grover

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

In article <910@hou3c.UUCP> ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) writes:

>I am seeing a bunch of articles with reference lines on which the last
>reference is <>.  Perhaps this is a problem with 2.10.2?  Here is a list
>of machines with the problem:
>
>browngr.UUCP	digi-g.UUCP	klipper.UUCP	ncoast.UUCP	yale.ARPA
>cbosgd.UUCP	genrad.UUCP	lasspvax.UUCP	umcp-cs.UUCP	zinfandel.UUCP
>celerity.UUCP	itm.UUCP	loral.UUCP

>					Kenneth Almquist

The problem at umcp-cs was a bug in rn, which has been fixed.  I suspect this
is probably the case for the others.

Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe

barto@celerity.UUCP (David Barto) (10/30/84)

Celerity is running 2.10.1 with most of the bugs fixed.  (the line eater
in specific.)  Why we are generating reference lines with <> on the end
I have no idea.  Could someone help me out with that?

	From an overworked administrator-
--
	barto (david barto)	Tele : (619) 271 9940
	uucp : {decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4}!sdcsvax!celerity!barto