[net.news.b] creating mod groups

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/10/84)

Here's another question that I'm sure many would appreciate the
answer to. My site seems to have missed the newgroup messages
for the various mod groups and all the articles end up in junk.
But I can't seem to create them with postnews. What should I do?

--
 The girls just want to chfn but the boys just want to fsck.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5668
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!phil
 ARPA: amd!phil@decwrl.ARPA

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (11/14/84)

> Here's another question that I'm sure many would appreciate the
> answer to. My site seems to have missed the newgroup messages
> for the various mod groups and all the articles end up in junk.
> But I can't seem to create them with postnews. What should I do?

I'll repost control messages to create the moderated newsgroups.

--
Off the Wall of Gene Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

davest@daemon.UUCP (Dave Stewart) (11/14/84)

[]
	You basically have to fake out inews into processing a control
message for a non-moderated newsgroup and discover midway, "why, this
is a moderated newsgroup!" but after it tries to filter these out.

	Just post an article to any control newsgroup, and have the
"Control:" header line say: "cmsg newgroup mod.foo".  This may best be
done by handcrafting an article and jamming it down inews' throat
(inews -h).  As an example, in the past, I had to create a Tek local
moderated newsgroup.  I used the article below to create it.  Thanks
to Mark Horton for letting me in on this.

	Subject: newgroup tek.mod.tools
	Newsgroups: tek.msg.ctl
	Control: newgroup tek.mod.tools

--
David C. Stewart                          uucp:    tektronix!davest
Small Systems Support Group                        tektronix!usenet

bllklly@uwmacc.UUCP (Bill Kelly) (11/23/84)

<>

A terse way to create a newsgroup foo on your machine is:
	inews -n control -t "cmsg newsgroup foo" < /dev/null
This is what checkgroups does in 2.10.2 news.  I can never remember the
exact format, so I "grep inews /usr/lib/news/checkgroups" when we miss
a create group message.
--

Bill Kelly
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!bllklly

"Sometimes, Penfold, I wish I was just drawing the cartoons,
 not starring in them."