[net.news.b] Question about link costs for pathalias

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/15/85)

	What do I do with links which I don't want available to the
outside world because they cost me money, but which exist for internal
use.  As an example, I have a uucp entry for okstate which is only there
to serve as the uucp equivalent of anonymous FTP for snarfing kermit
stuff.  However, I don't want all of New York to use this for mail.  Do
I report it as DEAD?

	Of course, the costs are only for the benefit of pathalias;
people can still choose to route stuff manually via phri!okstate (Please
don't!!).  Is there a way to tell my uucp system NOT to forward anything
to a particular site unless it originated locally (or, if it originated
from any of a set of sites)?
--

The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
the views of the Public Health Research Institute.

{decvax,ihnp4}!vax135!timeinc\
                              >!phri!roy (Roy Smith)
     {allegra,rocky2}!cubsvax/

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (02/21/85)

In article <183@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	What do I do with links which I don't want available to the
>outside world because they cost me money, but which exist for internal
>use.  As an example, I have a uucp entry for okstate which is only there
>to serve as the uucp equivalent of anonymous FTP for snarfing kermit
>stuff.  However, I don't want all of New York to use this for mail.  Do
>I report it as DEAD?

Nope.  Just don't include any information on that link when you publish
your site info.  If no one knows it is available, no one will route
through it.  Most of the sites I help administer have a "private" list
of connections which are for internal use only. We include that list
when we make up our paths files locally, but we don't advertise the
links.

>	Of course, the costs are only for the benefit of pathalias;
>people can still choose to route stuff manually via phri!okstate (Please
>don't!!).  Is there a way to tell my uucp system NOT to forward anything
>to a particular site unless it originated locally (or, if it originated
>from any of a set of sites)?

It depends on the mailer you're running.  It can be done with sendmail,
I believe, and with MMDF, but trying to program something like that is
difficult at best.  A much better way would be to simply remove the
site from your L.sys file until such times as you need it (you don't
call that often, do you?).  Anyone attempting to mail through your site
will end up with their mail being bounced, but you can always reinstall
the entry if you want to use the link yourself.
--
Gene "6 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332