[net.news.b] "From:" lines violating standard

chip@t12tst.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (03/05/85)

There are several people out there who are using "From:" lines which
violate the USENET standard.  It appears to me that the number of violators
has been increasing over the past Ponths.  Unfortunately, these violations
cause my mailer program to break.  (Silly me...trying to base an algorithm
around a standard.)  Anyway, portions of the standard document (by Mark
Horton) which describe this problem are quoted below:

    > 2.1.3  From
    >
    > The From line contains the electronic mailing address  of  the person who
    > sent the message, in the ARPA internet syntax.  It may optionally also
    > contain the  full name  of  the person, in parentheses, after the
    > electronic address.....
    >
    > Either the full name is omitted, or it appears in parentheses after the
    > electronic address  of  the person posting the article, or it appears
    > before an electronic address enclosed in  angle brackets.  Thus, the
    > three permissible forms are:
    >
    >     From: mark@cbosgd.UUCP
    >     From: mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton)
    >     From: Mark Horton <mark@cbosgd.UUCP>
    >
    > Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters  from space through
    > tilde, with the exceptions that they may not contain parentheses ``(''
    > or  ``)'',  or  angle  brackets ``<''  or ``>''.

I did a 'grep' on all the "From:" lines in net.unix.  The ones which used
angle brackets (names changed to protect...) and my comments are as follows:

    Correct "From" fields:
	From: John Q Public <jqp@bigvax>
	From: John Q Public <jqp%bigvax@gateway.ARPA>

    Illegal "From" fields:
	From: John Q Public (SC4-455) <jqp@bigvax.ARPA>	  parentheses in name
	From: jqp@bigvax.ARPA (John Q Public <jqp>)	  angle brackets in name

Am I interpreting the standard correctly?  If so, is there reason why the
sites which violate the convention need to do so?  On the other hand, does
the standards document (and my mailer) need to be changed?  Does anybody
else but me care about this?  (And what about Naomi?)

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara, (408) 496-7651
{cbosgd,idi,intelca,icalqa,kremvax,qubix} ! {t4test,t12tst} ! {chip,news}

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (03/05/85)

>     Correct "From" fields:
> 	From: John Q Public <jqp@bigvax>
> 	From: John Q Public <jqp%bigvax@gateway.ARPA>
>
>     Illegal "From" fields:
> 	From: John Q Public (SC4-455) <jqp@bigvax.ARPA>	  parentheses in name
> 	From: jqp@bigvax.ARPA (John Q Public <jqp>)	  angle brackets in name

The latter 'From:' is correct under RFC822 syntax -- anything in parens
is ignored by the mailer, including '<' and '>'.  Let me check on that
former line..... (rummage through documentation)... yes, the former is
correct also -- comments (stuff in parens) may be located anywhere white-
space is ok, which means they can go between the full-name and the
route-addr.

--
dave cohrs
...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!dave

    (bug?  what bug?  that's a feature!)

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (03/06/85)

The From lines listed by Chip are legal 822, but the restricted forms
permitted by 850 (the netnews standard) forbid them.  The idea behind
these restrictions was to make reply commands easier to write.

In practice, the two examples given don't look like they should bother
a typical reply command.  It would be reasonable to loosen up the
Usenet standard to permit them (and perhaps to permit full 822 syntax.)
I'm not offering to upgrade all the reply commands to do this, however,
so the people who would have to should have the final say.

	Mark