[net.news.b] sys file trouble

netnews@wnuxb.UUCP (Heiby) (03/12/85)

In an attempt to reduce the amount of disk space taken up by zero
content newsgroups, we are trying to prevent articles from certain
groups from being sent to us.  We are running 2.10.2 and our feed is
(I believe) running 2.10.1.  Here is a portion of our (1 and only)
feed's sys file.
---
> wnuxb:net,net.all,!net.flame:F:/mis/netnews/spool/batch/wnuxb
> wnuxb:fa,att,chi,mod,na,usa,to.wnuxb:F:/mis/netnews/spool/batch/wnuxb
---------
Here is my sys file's entry for me.
---
> wnuxb:net,fa,mod,chi,att,usa,na,to::
---------
There are a couple of other !net.something before and after the
"!net.flame" in that first line.  All are seperated by commas.
The thing is, that we are still getting these articles.  Here is
the header from an example.
---
> From: rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn)
> Newsgroups: net.flame
> Subject: arndt, the <bleep>-head, my final words
> Date: 11 Mar 85 19:28:29 GMT
---------
Does anyone know what needs to be done to keep certain groups from
being transmitted?  Several weeks ago, I recall a long article which
I think explained all this.  Unfortunately, I didn't save it as I didn't
think I'd ever need it.  Thanks.
--
Ronald W. Heiby / ihnp4!{wnuxa!heiby|wnuxb!netnews}
AT&T Information Systems, Inc.

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/16/85)

> Does anyone know what needs to be done to keep certain groups from
> being transmitted?  Several weeks ago, I recall a long article which

Yes... the site feeding you should upgrade to 2.10.2.  The "net" in
your sys entry on their machine is getting you into trouble.  Without
it you get nothing -- including groups you want -- that has a
distribution line of "net." (Because 2.10.1 doesn't handle
Distributions they way 2.10.2 does -- which is the right way.) With
the "net" entry, you get *everything* with a "net" distribution,
whether you ! it out or not (or ! ??).
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!grendel!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227