[net.news.b] missing /tmp/newsa* file

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/08/85)

Several users here have had trouble with readnews (2.10.2) wiping out their
.newsrc file.  Specifically, the temporary file /tmp/newsaXXXXX vanishes
(at least according to the message displayed), which in some fashion causes
a null file to be written on top of .newsrc.  Has anyone seen this problem?
Better yet, does anyone have a fix?

		--Steve Bellovin
		{ihnp4,allegra,most of BTL,unc}!ulysses!smb

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (05/09/85)

In article <969@ulysses.UUCP>, smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) writes:
> Several users here have had trouble with readnews (2.10.2) wiping out their
> .newsrc file.  Specifically, the temporary file /tmp/newsaXXXXX vanishes

Yes, that happened to me. Turns out a user I had berated for writing bad
software that leaves lots of /tmp/xxx files around had done me the "favor"
of rm /tmp/*. Boy was I pissed. This is like deleting someone's compiler
intermediate files except it's a lot more painful to recover from.

--
 I speak for myself and no one else.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA