[net.news.b] Subject lines like thisSubject lines like this

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (06/27/85)

(Right, how many people tried to decrypt this before reading?)

I'm reposting this from net.jokes.d in the hope that it may catch
a bit more attention from those who can do something about it: the
netnews administrators.  Just add one line of code and change two more...

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) writes in net.jokes.d:

> In article <694@ihlpg.UUCP> sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) writes:
> >Before I get any flames about ROTting something and not marking it as ROTted,
> >let me just say that I thought that readnews would mark the Subject line for
> >me.  I was wrong.
>
> You were right.
>
> Postnews (in C) for news 2.10.2 has a trivial bug in it.  It does make a
> very nice heading, but unfortunatly writes all over itself in the process.
> The fix is trivial.  (i.e. Do it now)
>
> Go to the postnews.c file, and look for where it asks you the "could this
> be offensive" question.  At that point, it uses the buffer buf as a
> parameter to a call.  Create a new buf, call it jbuf for joke-buf, and
> use that in that place rather than buf.  Ta da - your postnews now behaves.
>
> John

Reposted here by Mark Brader