Duplicate article <526@down.FUN> rejected
From: honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman)

davest@daemon.UUCP (Dave Stewart) (07/11/85)

In article <279d59d3.1de6@apollo.uucp> rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) writes:
>Recently I've been getting duplicate articles again.  There doesn't
>seem to be any pattern this time.  They are rejected here, and I
>don't know why they aren't getting rejected downstream.

	Note that when a duplicate article is rejected by rnews, it will
get retransmitted to downstream sites anyway.  The reasoning is that this
makes for higher network connectivity if there is a higher degree of
article redundancy.  Articles are prevented from "looping" around a cycle
in the graph because rnews will not forward an article to any site that
appears in the "Path" header line.

	I might add that our local news administrator has added a sys
file flag that prevents duplicates from being forwarded along.  We use
this on "tektronix", our gateway, when forwarding to other Tek sites,
because they are a captive part of the network being fed by just one
site (tektronix).  Send mail to tektronix!rdoty or tektronix!usenet for
diffs of rnews code, if you are interested.

--
David C. Stewart                          uucp:    tektronix!davest
Small Systems Support Group               csnet:   davest@TEKTRONIX

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (07/17/85)

    Note that when a duplicate article is rejected by rnews, it will
    get retransmitted to downstream sites anyway.

I'm not sure I believe that.  Duplicates are rejected around line 327 of
inews.c, just after the call to input().  Broadcast() isn't called until
the very end of insert(), which is called after the duplicates are
rejected.  Experiments seem to confirm this analysis.

Maybe my software is out of date, or yours has been hacked up?

davest@daemon.UUCP (Dave Stewart) (07/25/85)

	Well, it looks like I may have goofed on this one.  Sorry - I
was going from a faulty memory rather than checking the sources.