[net.news.b] How to deal with net.general

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (08/11/85)

Here's my odd notion for how to ensure that "net.general" is used correctly:
allow anyone to cancel any article posted to "net.general."

According to its charter in "mod.newslists", "net.general" is supposed to be
used for "*Important* and timely announcements of interest to all."  So:  if
you see a "net.general" article that isn't of interest to you, then the article
is not of interest to all and you should feel perfectly comfortable in
cancelling it, since it was incorrectly posted to the group.

Note that doing this will also discourage cross postings to net.general, since
posters who do so open themselves to the possibility of cancellation of their
articles.

This solution also avoids singling out any individuals as authority figures--
all users are created equal.
--
	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado    ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden trademarks

In article <5204@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:

>allow anyone to cancel any article posted to "net.general."

Takes just one crackpot (any volunteers? I will... (-:) to kill net.general
articles this way.
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------     or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

howard@cyb-eng.UUCP (Howard Johnson) (08/13/85)

> Here's my odd notion for how to ensure that "net.general" is used correctly:
> allow anyone to cancel any article posted to "net.general."

I don't think this would be appropriate for any user to do.  It seems that
some users would enjoy cancelling articles just for the fun of it.
But restricting this to the news suser() could make this a useful function.
Comments?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/14/85)

[it was suggest that *anybody* be allowed to cancel net.general articles]

> I don't think this would be appropriate for any user to do.  It seems that
> some users would enjoy cancelling articles just for the fun of it.

	If you added a "Cancel-Votes:" header (just what we need, more
per-article overhead, right?), everytime somebody tried to cancel the
article, you just bump up the vote count; when it reaches a threshold, you
blow the article away all-together.  Of course, this only works for tracing
an article along a single path, so isn't much use with the current Usenet
topology and it diffusion model of message passing.  Just a random thought;
fell free to forget I mentioned it.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/15/85)

> But restricting this to the news suser() could make this a useful function.
> Comments?

Sounds like a good idea... I wouldn't mind having that power, however
terrified I would be about using it.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (08/24/85)

The proposal on the floor:
allow anyone to cancel any article posted to "net.general."

> . . .some users would enjoy cancelling articles just for the fun of it.
> But restricting this to the news suser() could make this a useful function.
> Comments?

> Sounds like a good idea... I wouldn't mind having that power, however
> terrified I would be about using it.

Sorry. . .if you want only responsible users to cancel articles, limiting the
power to suser()s doesn't work.  Some suser()s are irresponsible; some
responsible users aren't suser()s.

> Takes just one crackpot (any volunteers? I will... (-:) to kill net.general
> articles this way.

1.  Crackpots can already kill net.general articles (using forgery techniques).
2.  It's also true that crackpots can currently POST articles; should we
    therefore not allow anyone at all to post articles?
3.  Currently, the bulk of the energy of network crackpots goes into posting
    articles; the effects of the crackpots' work is to increase both phone bills
    and the amount of time it takes folks to get through news groups.  I for one
    would be happy to channel crackpot energies into article cancellation, since
    this would REDUCE phone bills and junk news.

> If you added a "Cancel-Votes:" header (just what we need, more
> per-article overhead, right?), everytime somebody tried to cancel the
> article, you just bump up the vote count; when it reaches a threshold, you
> blow the article away all-together.

Nah. . .some crackpot would simply post multiple cancellations.

> Brilliant! I second!!

Well. . .finally an opinion I can agree with 100%.  :-)

Given the reluctance to give "anyone" the power to cancel articles, perhaps
each site might maintain a list of "wise guys" whose cancellations of
"net.general" articles would be heeded.  A back-door way to do this would be
to have an entry in the "/usr/lib/news/sys" file of the form:
	wiseguys:!all::mark@cbosgd.UUCP,root@all,!all@all.ARPA
The poster of the cancellation of a "net.general" article could be "ngmatch"ed
against the "wiseguys" list to determine whether or not to accept the
cancellation.  Cleaner implementations are, of course, possible.