[net.news.b] decwrl et. al. drops "Distribution: "?

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (08/25/85)

This is the header of an article I sent out with "Distribution: ba"

> From: gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett)
> Newsgroups: ba.wanted,net.music.classical,net.music
> Subject: Where to find CDs; some rare (?) titles
> Date: 22 Aug 85 05:09:15 GMT

This is a header of a response article that someone in Boston posted
in response:

--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/25/85)

It turns out in the article used as an example that the poster is
by decwrl. The machine she is using runs VMS, as do several hundred
other DEC machines which appear to be on USENET. (this is how our
good friend Ken Arndt communicates with us) It is obviously difficult
to maintain distribution and references (you forgot this one, Gordon)
through a mailing list.

However, this doesn't mean we can't ask decwrl to try to work on it...
How likely are they to fix it? Well, I hear DEC broke TCP/IP on the
latest release of Ultrix. TCP/IP is not supported. Need I say more?
--
 Plan: To play as much volleyball as possible.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (09/06/85)

The DEC ENET is worldwide, and it is all gatewayed through decwrl in Palo
Alto. I claim it is completely meaningless to maintain "distributions" when
messages are passed across an internetwork gateway like this. It's pointless
to ask for a "fix" when in fact the problem is inherently unfixable.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA