[net.news.b] news.2.10.3

hartley@uvm-cs.UUCP (Steve) (09/20/85)

  We are running news.2.10.1 as it came off of the 4.2 BSD distribution tape
(early 1984).  Please no flames; as a faculty member who ended up being the
de facto news administrator, I didn't have time to convert to news.2.10.2.
I would like to know if it will be possible to go right to news.2.10.3 when
it hits the net.  Thanks.
--
							Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	{decvax,ihnp4}!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	University of Vermont

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (09/24/85)

> From: hartley@uvm-cs.UUCP (Steve)
> Date: 20 Sep 85 12:13:55 GMT
>
>   We are running news.2.10.1 as it came off of the 4.2 BSD distribution tape
> (early 1984).  Please no flames; as a faculty member who ended up being the
> de facto news administrator, I didn't have time to convert to news.2.10.2.
> I would like to know if it will be possible to go right to news.2.10.3 when
> it hits the net.  Thanks.

I have been told by two independent sources that the 2.10.1 version on at
least some of the Berkeley distribution tapes contains the infamous line-eater
(maybe it should be called "buffer-eater", since it really eats the first
1024 characters of the message body) bug. Will one of the more experienced
net gurus correct me if I'm wrong?  Is there a simple patch that will correct
the bug?
--
Joe Buck				|  Entropic Processing, Inc.
UUCP: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck  |  10011 N. Foothill Blvd.

usenet@ucbvax.ARPA (USENET News Administration) (09/25/85)

Joe, you are correct, the version of netnews that was included in 4.2 BSD
had the `line eating' bug. Anyone who is still running anything earlier
than 2.10.2 should update as soon as humanly possible.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU