[net.news.b] what DFTXMIT for System V Rel 2?

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (09/28/85)

	i took a guess at this when installing 2.10.2 news, but i'd like to
know for sure:  in defs.h, DFTXMIT has options "-r -z".  neither of these
appear as options to uux(1C) in our SVR2 doct'n.
	can anyone tell me what the analogous options are for SVR2?  thx.
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (09/30/85)

In article <322@mot.UUCP> fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) writes:

>	i took a guess at this when installing 2.10.2 news, but i'd like to
>know for sure:  in defs.h, DFTXMIT has options "-r -z".  neither of these
>appear as options to uux(1C) in our SVR2 doct'n.
>	can anyone tell me what the analogous options are for SVR2?  thx.

The -r option is present (but often undocumented) in every version
of UUCP I've ever seen.  It says "don't start up a uucico now, wait
for it to get started from cron."  This is usually included for
performance reasons.  Of course, if you batch, this won't matter.

The -z option says "only send back warning mail if the command exits
with nonZero status."  Not all UUCP's have it.  If you don't have -z,
try -n, which says "don't send back mail at all."  Otherwise you'll
often find that uucp (or worse yet, some user) on your machine gets
lots of mail back from remote uucps telling that the uux worked OK.

	Mark Horton

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (09/30/85)

> 	i took a guess at this when installing 2.10.2 news, but i'd like to
> know for sure:  in defs.h, DFTXMIT has options "-r -z".  neither of these
> appear as options to uux(1C) in our SVR2 doct'n.
> 	can anyone tell me what the analogous options are for SVR2?  thx.

The analogous flag for "-r" in SVR2 is "-r".  For some reason, this flag
isn't documented in the 4.2BSD page UUX(1C) either; I suspect it wasn't
doumented in V7 and most vendors didn't bother adding it.  We did - here's
the description:

OPTIONS

	-r	don't start *uucico*, just queue the job.

	-x *n*	set debugging level to *n*.

	-n	don't return any indication by *mail* of success
		or failure of the job.

	-z	return an indication by *mail* only if the job fails.

	-g *x*	set service grade or classification to *x*.  The
		default is 'A'.

The S5R2 "uux" only supports "-r", "-x", and "-n" from this list.
Furthermore, "-n" only works if the sending *and* receiving site support it,
and the same is true of "-z".  So if the site you're sending news to is
running the 4.2BSD, Sun, or S5R2 UUCPs, or another UUCP that supports "uux
-n", use the "-n" flag.  Otherwise, you can use "-n", but it won't do you
any good; you'll still get a mail message for every successful remotely
executed command.  "news" comes with patches to add "-z" to a pre-S5 UUCP;
with slight changes, you can add it to an S5 UUCP.  However, if the site
you're sending to doesn't support "-z", you'll still get the mail message.

Moral: don't believe UNIX documentation.

	Guy Harris