[net.news.b] Frequent calling reduces phone time?

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/08/85)

Erik, I don't understand how your "frequent calling" method produces
lower phone bills.  Every message has to go between you and every news
neighbor exactly once.  Forwarding news quicker will change the ratio
of news that you receive to news that you send, but it will all still
have to traverse a phone line in one direction or the other.

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (10/12/85)

In article <184@l5.uucp> gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Erik, I don't understand how your "frequent calling" method produces
>lower phone bills.  Every message has to go between you and every news
>neighbor exactly once.  Forwarding news quicker will change the ratio
>of news that you receive to news that you send, but it will all still
>have to traverse a phone line in one direction or the other.

What exactly didn't you understand about the explanation?

The key point to realize is that when your system says `Duplicate
article <1234@frobozz.UUCP> rejected', and frobozz is one of your n
full-feed neighbors (where n > 1), the article in question has
traversed the link between you and frobozz not once, but TWICE (once
from frobozz to you, and once from you to frobozz) because both of you
got the article from other sites within a window when you and frobozz
weren't communicating. The more often you communicate, the smaller this
window is, and therefore, the lower the probability that articles
between you and frobozz will go over the link twice.

In short, your neighbors don't know that you have the article unless
you tell them (by sending on the article), and the longer the period of
time that you have an article without telling them, the larger the
probability is that they will get the article from elsewhere, and tell
you that they have the article (by sending on to you when you already
have it [and have probably queued it for delivery to them]).

Does this clear things up? Or have I further muddied the waters?

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU