[net.news.b] Bad history file: help needed to fix

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/04/85)

[Munch   Munch   Munch   HUMMM, that history file sure tasted good!!!!]

As can be surmised from the line above, our history file received some damage.
At this point, reason is unknown.  Because our history file is not up-to-date,
articles are not getting removed when expire is run.

How does one rebuild the data in the history file?  Looking at the code, I
discovered the -r option, but since C is still relatively new, haven't exactly
figured out what the -r option does.  I did start it to see what would happen.
Well that ended in failure, as it hung up on the sort portion of the code.

Any and all suggestions on how to rebuild our history file would be appreciated.

Mike Brown
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/05/85)

In article <411@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
[I asked for advice of 'expire -r' and fixing bad history file]

Well, I tried running 'expire -r' again, this time after I got rid of
the bad history files and letting the program run longer.  Our news is
so large that it took quite a few hours before any results were really
seen.

So, it looks as if it made the new history file ok.  But, I won't really
know until after expire runs tonight.

Oh, how I love people who munch on news history files.  :-(

Mike Brown
--

In article <414@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <411@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>[I asked for advice of 'expire -r' and fixing bad history file]

> []

>So, it looks as if it made the new history file ok.  But, I won't really
>know until after expire runs tonight.

Well, it seems to have worked just fine.  Sorry about leaping before I really
found the answer myself.  But news was getting a little full and I was
a little desparate.  I have learned my lesson, ie, it won't happen again.

Mike Brown
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax|decvax|ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (11/07/85)

I never understood why expire -r wants to sort the output anyway.
Certainly none of the news software cares what order the lines are
in, and the sort can't work because of the format of the date string.

I hacked our expire to not do the sort, and it works fine:

#ifdef apollo
			nhfd = xfopen(NARTFILE, "w");
#else
			sprintf(afline, "sort +2 >%s", NARTFILE);
			if ((nhfd = popen(afline, "w")) == NULL)
				xerror("Cannot exec %s", NARTFILE);
#endif