[net.news.b] proposed moderators control message

sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) (11/05/85)

At least two other people have suggested that the news software somehow
automatically update the moderators list. This is especially important
now that the net has a large number of mod lists. To that end, I
advocate the addition of a moderators control message that will
automatically update the moderators file when the site understands
domain addressing (i.e INTERNET is defined in the defs.h file when
making the news software) or will notify the news administrator that a new
list it in so s/he can update it.

I have already submitted code to add this message to the news 2.10.3 alpha
release to rick@seismo, spaf@gatech, and mark@cbosgd in an effort to
facilitate its addition to the new news software.

Please feel free to share your comments here or via mail to me.

REMEMBER: This is a proposal, not the way it is. I hope that it becomes this
way, but if you don't like the idea, chime in.

--
Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
Olan		ARPA:sob@rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (11/11/85)

In article <655@neuro1.UUCP> sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) writes:
>At least two other people have suggested that the news software somehow
>automatically update the moderators list. ...
>... I advocate the addition of a moderators control message that will
>automatically update the moderators file when the site understands
>domain addressing (i.e INTERNET is defined in the defs.h file when
>making the news software) ....

Good idea, but I think linking it to the INTERNET option is too strong.
My mailer doesn't yet understand at-addresses, but I \do/ maintain routing
tables and make them available to my users.  I would rather have it that
the option would be to specify a particular command to be run to convert
and install the moderators file.  In most cases, I suspect a simple shell
script would be sufficient; the default could be "cat" or some such.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) (11/15/85)

The software I sent to Mark Horton and others notified the NEWSUSR
that a moderators update has been sent when one is received. If
INTERNET is defined, the list is automatically updated. If not, the
list is saved in a file called update.mod in the NEWSUSR's home directory.
This allows the NEWSUSR to edit the list as needed to conform to
what the local mailer can handle. Therefore, what you wanted is indeed
what is proposed.

Stan

--

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (11/22/85)

In article <670@neuro1.UUCP> sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) writes:
>The software I sent to Mark Horton and others notified the NEWSUSR
>that a moderators update has been sent when one is received. If
>INTERNET is defined, the list is automatically updated. If not, the
>list is saved in a file called update.mod in the NEWSUSR's home directory.
>This allows the NEWSUSR to edit the list as needed to conform to
>what the local mailer can handle. Therefore, what you wanted is indeed
>what is proposed.

Um, sorry, you weren't paying attention; that's \not/ what I proposed.
My mailer doesn't (yet) handle Internet addresses, so I don't have
INTERNET defined.  With me so far?  Saving the file somewhere and sending
a message is OK, but it doesn't get the file installed.  Even though my
mailer doesn't support internet routing, I do have host-to-route tables
and I could easly write a program (actually a shell script) to convert
the addresses into the correct form.  OK?  What I want to be able to do
is to \automaticly/ run that program when the update to the moderators
file comes in and install the result.

So, if INTERNET is #defined, dropping in the file is just fine.  If it is
not defined, there should be the option of specifying a program to be run
to convert the file to the correct format.  If that option is not selected,
saving the file as update.mod in /usr/lib/news (or whatever, but \not/ in
the home directory of NEWSUSR, which happens to be /usr/spool/uucppublic
on this system) is a reasonable default.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA