[net.news.b] Posting to mod.* groups

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (12/03/85)

I have the 4/85 version of 2.10.3, so this may be fixed in a
later version.  However, here are two problems I found using
'postnews':

   1.	The .signature file is appended on articles posted
	to net.* but not mod.*.  Presumably this has to
	do with the mailing vs. rnews distribution logic.

	This leads to 0 or 2 signatures appearing in some
	articles, depending on whether you're in the habit
	of manually merging a signature, or not.

   2.	It is not possible to cross-post between net.*
	and mod.*, at least if the mod.* group is first.
	Example:
		Newsgroups: mod.computers.sun, net.micro.68k
	gets mailed to the "sun-spots" moderator with both
	groups in the heading.

	Some might think this shouldn't be supported, but
	I think it should.  Obviously the benefits to the
	backbone are not the same as for two net.* groups,
	but the benefits to the user (and maybe the reader)
	are the same.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (12/04/85)

To address your bugs:

1) Postings to unmoderated groups is done (eventually) by "inews".
Inews is the program which appends the ".signature" file, if readable.
Posting to moderated groups is done via some (often site-dependent)
mailer called by your news posting program -- inews is not involved.
The news posting programs should probably note that the group involved
is moderated and then include the signature file.  That may take some
work.

2) The way news works it is not possible for a regular user to cross
post to both a moderated group and a net group.  Articles to a
moderated group require a "stamp" to be forwarded, so if Joe User posts
to "mod.movies" and "net.movies" both, if the article were to pass
through "inews" it would get rejected as unapproved (of course, this
doesn't even begin to address the question of whether it is appropriate
to cross post to both a mod group and a net group -- usually it
isn't).

The correct way to post an article like this is to mail it to the
moderator with the unmoderated newsgroup indicated in the header.  If
the article is appropriate for the moderated group, the moderator can
put in the "stamp" and post the article to both groups at once.

The next problem occurs if an article to both groups does get approved
and posted, and if someone decides to followup to it.  The proper
behavior is for followups to get mailed back to the moderator for
posting to both groups at once, if appropriate, since the reader doing
the followup can't post to the moderated group.

If you think about it some, I think you'll see that the current
behavior is correct.
--
Gene "wedding done, thesis to go" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332