[net.music] Yes Fanzine

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/06/85)

["I focussed the magnifying glass that brought the downfall of Icarus!"]

> From: jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos)

> Here is an essence of what makes Yes succeed where groups like King
> Crimson don't (in my opinion).  Yes always kept in touch with the "guiding
> lines" of traditional musical forms.

King Crimson is at least an order of magnitude better than Yes, for
precisely the reason you state!  This is just one person's opinion
though, but while I'm on the topic, Yes's lyrics often border on silly
too (border?).

In any case, I thought maybe you Yes fans might like to know about the
existence of a Yes fanzine.  It is called "Relayer", and they have
published more than 20 issues.  To find out more, write to Tanya Coad:
Relayer, 1384 Hope Road, North Vancouver, British Columbia V7P 1W7,
CANADA.

I can't tell you if it is any good because I've never seen it and I'm
not a Yes fan (I just listen to the stuff!).

				"Cat's foot iron claw
				 Neuro-surgeons scream for more"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/14/85)

> King Crimson is at least an order of magnitude better than Yes, for
> precisely the reason you state!  This is just one person's opinion
> though, but while I'm on the topic, Yes's lyrics often border on silly
> too (border?).

Now, Doug, I know you are just giving me a hard time because I always put
the words "Kate Bush" in all my comments so that your GREP will think
it's an article on Kate, but... how about substantiating these claims?

Also, which King Crimson are you referring to?  I'm referring to the one
that recorded, e.g., "Starless and Bible Black," not the one you quoted in
your signature line (who I think is just great) or the "you can earn
thousands calling yourself something else, or Millions calling yourself
King Crimson, which'll it be?" KC that records these strange albums with
gaudy complementary colors in the cover.  However, I used to have a friend
(who is reading this commentary right now) whose brother was a music major
in college and thought it was great, which has always made me suspect I
am missing the whole dinghy.  If you can explain WHY King Crimson is so
good (and not just "Wow, it's neat that they can start up and stop again
all at once like that there," which Kate Bush also can do just fine), I
would feel greatly enlightened and might even buy a replacement copy of
S&BB, which actually I miss that sad song from about how nobody appreciates
Fripp's music.  (Or was it someone else?)

I'll agree that SOME of Anderson's lyrics are "silly;" the best example is
on "Animation", which is just so plain stupid I could never listen to the
whole thing through... I mean, "Because I wanted, I just wanted, I wanted
to be there!" and other explanations of childbirth are a dismal opposite
to similar songs such as "And You and I", but I think in general that when
he is writing the more abstract-type lyrics, they actually are fairly good
modern poetry.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    "Gurl zhfg hcjneq fgvyy, naq bajneq,
	     Jub jbhyq xrrc noernfg bs gehgu."  -- WEY