[net.news.b] Upper/lower case in addresses

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/20/86)

	[Note: followup to net.mail]

	There has been a lot of discussion lately about whether case should
be significant in host names.  I remember some flack recently about
"glacier" vs. "Glacier" vs. "GLACIER", with nominally rational arguments
being made on all sides.  Anyway, I ran across the following in nj.general
and happened to notice the strange capitalization of the domain names (look
carefully at the From: and Message-ID: lines).

	This seems like somebody went out of their way to see how far they
could bend the rules before they broke.  It's one thing to be flexible in
the specifications so we can talk to (for example) people on BITNET with
upper-case only terminals, but why push the issue for no good reason?  At
the very least, I would think having your domain name written the same way
every time it appeared in one message would be a good idea.

--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (02/23/86)

> ...I ran across the following in nj.general and happened to notice the
> strange capitalization of the domain names...
>
> ...At the very least, I would think having your domain name written the
> same way every time it appeared in one message would be a good idea.
>
> > From: ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig)

The "From:" line is used, under some circumstances, to provide an address to
reply to.  The "Message-ID:", however, is used ONLY to provide a unique ID
to a message.  <4994@alice.NetNewsTurd> would be equally good, providing
theer was no other machine on USENET advertising itself as
"alice.NetNewsTurd".  According to RFC822, case is ignored in the "domain"
part of a mail address anyway.

I think Peter Honeyman's explanation is the most likely.  (BTL research has
shown amusing bits of disrespect for various other mail conventions; a
message from Dennis Ritchie with a full complement of header lines is quite
entertaining.)
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.arpa	(yes, really)