[net.news.b] Posting of 2.10.3 "problems"

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (03/21/86)

I've been noticing a lot of 2.10.3 problem reports in this newsgroup.
As far as I know 2.10.3 is still in beta test.  Given that, please
keep these problem reports out of this group so that

1.  people won't be put off upgrading to to 2.10.3, when it is *released*,
    "because of all the bugs"

2.  the group isn't cluttered with stuff that only a small fraction
    of the readership care about right now.

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (03/22/86)

In article <1958@saber.UUCP> msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:

> I've been noticing a lot of 2.10.3 problem reports in this newsgroup.
> As far as I know 2.10.3 is still in beta test.  Given that, please
> keep these problem reports out of this group so that

> 2.  the group isn't cluttered with stuff that only a small fraction
>     of the readership care about right now.

I agree.  I think the 2.10.3 folks need a mailing list, and I wonder
why this didn't occur to someone before.
seems obvious.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

grr@cbm.UUCP (03/24/86)

> I've been noticing a lot of 2.10.3 problem reports in this newsgroup.
> As far as I know 2.10.3 is still in beta test.  Given that, please
> keep these problem reports out of this group so that...
>
> From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
> msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

It may still be in beta test (i think not!), but in any case it's the release
many people are still trying to install and get running smoothly.  I did, and
I definatly want to see any and all problems that others have encountered...

HEY!!!

Could we have some 'offical' release announcments/status reports on
News 2.10.3 - how about mod.sources style vnews and rn???

I realize this information may have been posted, but I haven't seen it lately.
Wonder how many hops the average news software take before it gets installed
at a site?  No flames about official distributions - talking about reality...
--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbm!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbm!grr@seismo.css.GOV

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/24/86)

>> I've been noticing a lot of 2.10.3 problem reports in this newsgroup.
>> As far as I know 2.10.3 is still in beta test.  Given that, please
>> keep these problem reports out of this group so that
>> 2.  the group isn't cluttered with stuff that only a small fraction
>>     of the readership care about right now.
>
>I agree.  I think the 2.10.3 folks need a mailing list, and I wonder
>why this didn't occur to someone before.
>seems obvious.

It's actually alpha; Rick won't be posting the "official" beta version for
a few (days? weeks?) yet. Still, as much as I respect you guys, I have to
disagree....

The "small fraction of the readership" using 2.10.3 is actually quite large
and growing rapidly, including much of the backbone. See seismo's posting of
current news versions for verification. I claim that given the installed base
of 2.10.3 sites and the location of those sites, the net as a whole benefits
from these postings. A mailing list would be difficult, in part because the
number of 2.10.3 sites is growing very rapidly.

A curiosity: in the San Francisco Bay Area, the majority of sites that post
(I'm serious, more than 50%) and 2/3 of the BA backbone are running various
flavors of 2.10.3....
--
Carl S. Gutekunst   {allegra,cmcl2,decwrl,hplabs,topaz,ut-sally}!pyramid!csg
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 965 7200

shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) (03/25/86)

This is ridiculous.  Why are so many sites running 2.10.3 "alpha"
software?  This can hardly be called an alpha test.  It's been
running for years it seems.  What we've done is invent another
level to the numbering scheme.  First there was version 1, then
version 2, then 2.1, then 2.2, ... then 2.10, then 2.10.1, then
2.10.2, then 2.10.3 alpha, then 2.10.3 beta, ....  Somebody
ought to learn how to run a beta test and how to release software.
It will never be perfect, just do a good job, release it, and get
on with the next version.

Tired of waiting for 2.11,

		Bill Shannon

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/26/86)

In article <3400@sun.uucp> shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
>What we've done is invent another
>level to the numbering scheme.  First there was version 1, then
>version 2, then 2.1, then 2.2, ... then 2.10, then 2.10.1, then
>2.10.2, then 2.10.3 alpha, then 2.10.3 beta, ....

They must be taking lessons from ATT Unix marketing...

PS Don't forget 2.10.3 4.3bsd-beta.
--
 "It's time to raise gasoline taxes."

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (03/26/86)

So why is my Sun 3 running "3.0PILOT"?

Is Pilot before or after Beta test?

It seems sun like to use obscure naming conventions too.

--rick

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) (03/28/86)

In article <214@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>A curiosity: in the San Francisco Bay Area, the majority of sites that post
>(I'm serious, more than 50%) and 2/3 of the BA backbone are running various
>flavors of 2.10.3....

The Bay Area seems to be well connected! :-)

rs@mirror.UUCP (03/30/86)

>/* Written 12:42 pm  Mar 26, 1986 by rick@seismo.UUCP in mirror:net.news.b */
>So why is my Sun 3 running "3.0PILOT"?
>Is Pilot before or after Beta test?
>It seems sun like to use obscure naming conventions too.
>--rick

Okay, you haven't seen any software my company wrote, so I'll re-state
Bill Shannon's complaint:  all you're doing is adding another level of
confusing numbering.  And, if Carl@Pyramid is right that more than half
the Bay Area (Calif) sites are running "some version" of 10.3, then you're
doomed before you start:  calling it an alpha or beta test is a joke,
and if it's "some version" then you're really doomed:  how are you gonna
get a central version and convert everyone over.

Not that I don't appreciate your efforts (h*ll, and I even run notes!), but
the point is valid and you guys should try to address it.  Sniping like
this is stupid.

--
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube}!mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA, 02140

install@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (04/03/86)

In article <3400@sun.uucp>, shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
> This is ridiculous.  Why are so many sites running 2.10.3 "alpha"
> software?  This can hardly be called an alpha test.  It's been
> running for years it seems.  What we've done is invent another
> level to the numbering scheme.  First there was version 1, then
> version 2, then 2.1, then 2.2, ... then 2.10, then 2.10.1, then
> 2.10.2, then 2.10.3 alpha, then 2.10.3 beta, ....  Somebody
> ought to learn how to run a beta test and how to release software.
> It will never be perfect, just do a good job, release it, and get
> on with the next version.
>
> Tired of waiting for 2.11,
>
> 		Bill Shannon

Well, I'm running 2.10.3 and had no idea it wasn't "released" until I saw
this series of articles.

My question is: given I know who gave me the sources to make for this
machine, where did they *originally* come from. (Yes, I know this displays
lots of ignorance, but then I have plenty since I'm new to usenet, UNIX,
and this machine).  I want to know because I have several ideas about what
would be useful for folks like me on the UNIX PC, I'm willing to do the work
to make the changes, but I have no idea how to get them more widely
distributed once I do.

My ideas:
1. Since most UNIX PC users don't get the "development kit", they don't have
a cc and cannot make *any* modifications at the source level.  This includes
changing the Organization Name, which according to the documentation must be
changed in the localize.sh.  It would make sense to have the option to make
a version which would read the organization from a file in /usr/lib/news and
then one binary would do for all, much as the NOTIFY stuff is done now.

2. The UNIX PC is happiest if the new "shared library" feature is used, which
requires some changes in how the ld program is invoked.  This saves on setup
time for each process, swapping, and disk space for the binaries.

What do I do with these ideas (no jokes, please)?

Answers, help, and flames to
				Kevin O'Gorman
				...{ihnp4,hjuxa}!wcom!kosman!install