[net.news.b] discarding unwanted newsgroups

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (04/14/86)

	Here at wcom, we currently receive a full newsfeed. Our downstream
sites however, do not have the resources to take a full newsfeed, so I
modified our sys file to not send them the groups they don't want, using
the ! convention. However, a look at my news log shows a line "newsgroup
in active, but not in sys", and it sends the article anyway.

	How do I properly cause news 2.10.2 to not send newsgroups?

	How do I tell it not to save a given newsgroup here?
--
					Jim Scardelis, SA
					{hjuxa,ihnp4}!wcom!frodo

#include <favorite disclaimer>

install@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (04/14/86)

In article <1296@wcom.UUCP>, frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) writes:

> 	Here at wcom, we currently receive a full newsfeed. Our downstream
> sites however, do not have the resources to take a full newsfeed, so I
> modified our sys file to not send them the groups they don't want, using
> the ! convention. However, a look at my news log shows a line "newsgroup
> in active, but not in sys", and it sends the article anyway.
>
> 	How do I properly cause news 2.10.2 to not send newsgroups?
>
> 	How do I tell it not to save a given newsgroup here?

As one of Jim's downstream sites, I would also like to know why the
articles which slip through (it is clearly not all of them, or else my disk
would be permanetly overfull) wind up in /usr/spool/news/junk.  These
newsgroups are listed with the ! convention in my 'sys' file too -- I would
want netnews to just throw them away.  Note: Jim and I use exactly the same
line for my site in our 'sys' files.

				Kevin O'Gorman
				...{ihnp4,hjuxa}!wcom!kosman!install

In article <29@kosman.UUCP> install@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>In article <1296@wcom.UUCP>, frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) writes:
>>
>> 	Here at wcom, we currently receive a full newsfeed. Our downstream
>> sites however, do not have the resources to take a full newsfeed, so I
>> modified our sys file to not send them the groups they don't want, using
>> the ! convention. However, a look at my news log shows a line "newsgroup
>> in active, but not in sys", and it sends the article anyway.
>>
>> 	How do I properly cause news 2.10.2 to not send newsgroups?
>>
>> 	How do I tell it not to save a given newsgroup here?
>
>As one of Jim's downstream sites, I would also like to know why the
>articles which slip through (it is clearly not all of them, or else my disk
>would be permanetly overfull) wind up in /usr/spool/news/junk.  These
>newsgroups are listed with the ! convention in my 'sys' file too -- I would
>want netnews to just throw them away.  Note: Jim and I use exactly the same
>line for my site in our 'sys' files.
>
>				Kevin O'Gorman
>				...{ihnp4,hjuxa}!wcom!kosman!install

Make sure that Jim has !junk specified on your line in his sys file.  Any
groups that he has restricted on his line in his sys file get translated
to junk, and will go out under that name unless prevented.  New items that
would get sent to junk because they are older than the reject date can
also be retransmitted.

This sending of articles to junk that you have said you don't want with
a !group on your line in the sys file doesn't seem to have been too well
thought out - but thats they way it works...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr