[net.math] another clock problem

pruhs@uwvax.UUCP (Kirk Pruhs) (02/13/85)

     Here is another rather interesting clock problem that was on the Putnam
last year. If you have a standard clock with hand lengths 3 and 4, how far
apart are the tips of the hands when the distance between them is increasing
most rapidly? A freshmen calculas student has the tools to solve this but
a little care needs to be taken or you can fill  a wall with the equations.

ech@spuxll.UUCP (Ned Horvath) (02/17/85)

Kirk Pruhs (pruhs@uwvax.UUCP) writes:

>     Here is another rather interesting clock problem that was on the Putnam
>last year. If you have a standard clock with hand lengths 3 and 4, how far
>apart are the tips of the hands when the distance between them is increasing
>most rapidly? A freshmen calculas student has the tools to solve this but
>a little care needs to be taken or you can fill  a wall with the equations.

One need only remember the high school formula for the third side of a
triangle given two sides and the angle between them:
	c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab(cos C)

Where C(t) is just 2pi*(11/12)t, t in hours.  I mention that just to get
rid of t -- C is just a linear multiple of t.  But then the change in
distance is given by
	d(c^2)/dC = 2ab(sinC)
which is, of course, maximized at C=pi/2.  When the hands are at right angles
I can calculate c in my head...

=Ned=