[net.aviation] Terminal access to FSS/NWS

lgl (12/03/82)

In a recent article received via net.aviation, a voice response system was
described which gave timely weather information obtained from various
weather reporting sites.. Following is an excerpt from that article...

	From rmas70!nscs!cbosgd!npois!npoiv!harpo!zeppo!imm
	(Irv M. McNair Jr.) Tue Nov  2 11:15:41 1982
	Subject: Re: Re: Terminal access to FSS/NWS weath - (nf)
	Newsgroups: net.aviation

	There is a voice response system that will give weather information.
	I have found it very useful because it gives the complete report
	and not just what the briefer decides to tell
	you.  It is slow enough so I can take notes.

	It gives the weather observed at the airports (hourly sequence reports),
	the terminal forecast, and winds aloft forecast at three altitudes
	(plus or minus 4000 ft) from the requested.
	It also gives the TWEB routes forecsts for which you have to
	know the numbers.

I've tried out the system and found it (when in operation) to be very
useful. It seems to be an experiment of some sort and therefore doesn't
have the inclination to stay "on-line" for long stretches of time.
Anyway, I tried to get a terminal forcast for Zanesville, Ohio (ZZV)
and found that I don't have the letter 'Z' on my phone! In fact,
most of the Bell system phones I've seen don't have 'Z's or 'Q's!
Is there any way around this??
Has anyone ever run into this before??

		Lionel G. Lynch
		(...!cbosgd!nscs!rmas70!mork-cb!lgl)

Mary.Shaw@CMU-CS-A@sri-unix (12/03/82)

The description of the voice response system that I received a couple of
years ago showed Q, underscore, and Z on the 1 button (in that order --
that is, Q should be 1,1 just as A is 2,1.  I don't recall ever actually
trying this encoding.
Mary Shaw (shaw@CMU)

VAF@CMU-CS-C@sri-unix (12/03/82)

From: Vince Fuller <VAF at CMU-CS-C>
    Date: 2 Dec 82 16:17:53-PST (Thu)
    From: harpo!eagle!mhuxt!mhuxj!cbosgd!nscs!rmas70!mork-cb!lgl at Ucb-C70
    To:   aviation at Mit-Ai
    Re:   Terminal access to FSS/NWS - (nf)
    Via:  Usenet; 3 Dec 82 4:47-PST

    In a recent article received via net.aviation, a voice response system was
    described which gave timely weather information obtained from various
    weather reporting sites.. Following is an excerpt from that article...

    	From rmas70!nscs!cbosgd!npois!npoiv!harpo!zeppo!imm
    	(Irv M. McNair Jr.) Tue Nov  2 11:15:41 1982
    	Newsgroups: net.aviation

[...]

I have used this system before in D.C. and as I recall, the convention
for getting Q and Z is to use the 0 key as if it were the 'QZ' key
(e.g. Q=0,1; Z=0,2). I believe some phones actually have 'QZ' on the 0
key.

VAF@CMU-CS-C@sri-unix (12/03/82)

From: Vince Fuller <VAF at CMU-CS-C>
Does anyone know if this system is accessable via local dialing from
anywhere but the D.C. area?