[net.aviation] Altitude Deviation Violations

tjj@ssc-vax.UUCP (T J Jardine) (04/12/84)

Here in the Seattle ARTCC area we recently received a notice from the ARTCC
manager regarding an ATC Operational Error Detection Program.  The essence
was that Seattle, along with several other ARTCC's, has recently implemented
a capability in their computer software to monitor aircraft separation.
The statement in the letter indicated that violations would be filed with the
local FSDO/GADO office when a pilot deviates 300 or more feet from an assigned
altitude.  Since I'm fairly familiar with the accuracy of both computers and
altitude encoders, I decided to ask the ARTCC manager for more details.

It turns out that what is being filed is a notice of possible violation, and
only when the altitude deviation results in less than required separation with
respect to another aircraft.  It's up to the FSDO/GADO Inspector to determine
the cause of the deviation.  Both the ARTCC manager and most of the Inspectors
I know are aware of the fact that there are flight conditions which prevent a
pilot of a light plane from maintaining altitude -- descending air mass with
velocity that exceeds aircraft climb capability for one.  I know we are all
trying for safe piloting as a goal, but has anyone had any experience with
this aspect of the ARTCC, either positive or negative?  I can just see some
pilot on a solo IFR flight in a Cessna 1x2 who deviates, is reported, and gets
a GADO Inspector who won't accept any reasonable explanation.  I'm not trying
for paranoia, just the balance required to really make the system work.

Ted Jardine
CFI ASME Instruments
--
TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!tjj

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (04/13/84)

The moral when flying in this situation is to list your equipment as /T
and turn off the encoder!

jackg@tekchips.UUCP (Jack Gjovaag) (04/15/84)

Of course, reporting your equipment as /T and not enabling mode
C will keep you from being yelled at by ATC and might even prevent
an after-flight explanation about altitude deviation.  Of course,
this will deny you (and other aircraft in adjacent airspace) a
neat safety feature.

I don't know why I am writing this.  The author of the original article
was just having a little :-) type fun.  Ok, I'll lighten up.

tjj@ssc-vax.UUCP (04/16/84)

    > From: bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre)
    >
    > The moral when flying in this situation is to list your equipment as /T
    > and turn off the encoder!

Ah, yes!  But what to do when filing IFR for airspace that requires an encoder?
Such as SEA - SLC - DEN (Seattle - Salt Lake City - Denver).  :-)

--
TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!tjj

grahamr@azure.UUCP (Graham Ross) (04/20/84)

Seems generally good to know more about what is going on up in the
air, especially for commercial flights.  However, it's also good to
encourage pilots to use /A whenever they can.  I think the FAA should
say something like this:

	We won't tattle on pilots of non-commercial flights not
	requiring /A who deviate from assignments unless the deviation
	is remarkably large (publish a figure here, possibly different
	for different airspace types and altitudes).  We WILL talk to
	the controller of such flights.

This attitude would encourage use of /A more than the current policy.

I don't know how to make the rule apply to air taxi operators whose
N-numbers look like a private pilot's.  Offhand I don't remember anything
in the flight plan that distinguishes a commercial C-172 flight from
a private one.  This is a harmless technicality though -- I'm sure of it.

Graham Ross
Tektronix
tektronix!tekmdp!grahamr