[net.aviation] logbooks and making photo-copies such documents

CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA (06/20/84)

From:  Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>

which reminds me .....

	twice, last year, our engine and airframe log-books had disappeared
	out of one of our planes (we fly as a non-profit corporation with
	20 share-owners, each with his own key, scheduling by phone).

	the first time, the manuals were returned to the plane after a month,
	and after an extensive phone and letter canvasing of all members.
	seems that a new member/owner felt the need to study them extensively
	and forgot he had them and "ignorant" or "insensitive" to the fact
	that their availability might "come in handy" in the plane - not to
	speak of the legality of flying without them.

	the second time, the absence of manuals were discovered a suspicious
	short time after having been in maintenance. Repeated efforts to get
	someone to "discover" them were fruitless.  So, we were forced to
	attempt to reconstruct the plane's history and we were lucky enough
	that most maintenance records could be found at the FBO of the previous
	owner in California.  To say that it was painful and costly to get
	a new, reconstructed log-book,  is putting it mildly.  A few months
	later, the old manuals "reappeared" in the plane without anybody
	admitting to it.  We suspect that it was the maintenance people at
	the FBO but I guess we'll never know.

Ah, yes, the moral:	going through the trouble to make annual photo-copies
			of new entries is now a standard procedure and well
			worth it ......  don't find out the hard way !!!
-------

CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA (06/21/84)

From:  Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>

No doubt, Ron is right about his list of legally required items.

But it is still a bag of worms to find yourself at the other end of the
country, needing repairs, and no log-books for the mechanic to study
the plane's history, which often helps to narrow down the problem and
avoid unneccessary costs.

It is, probably, legal for the mechanic to fix a problem and let you fly away
without having to guarantee (and being liable) anyting but his own work,
however, I, for one, would certainly not feel very comfortable with the
idea that the mechanic did not have the plane's "medical history" available
when diagnosing a problem which may effect how long I live.  It wouldn't
even surprise me if a mechanic would not want to work under such circum-
stances or that he finds himself unable to declare the plane airworthy.

And once you lost your log-books, how are you going to pass an annual or
100-hour inspection?  From experience: watching a plane just sitting there
for such a reason is like watching your wallet go down Niagara Falls ....
-------
-------

pigrp@ihuxq.UUCP (Peter Fales) (06/25/84)

>which reminds me .....
>
>	twice, last year, our engine and airframe log-books had disappeared
>	out of one of our planes (we fly as a non-profit corporation with
>	20 share-owners, each with his own key, scheduling by phone).
>
>	the first time, the manuals were returned to the plane after a month,
>	and after an extensive phone and letter canvasing of all members.
>	seems that a new member/owner felt the need to study them extensively
>	and forgot he had them and "ignorant" or "insensitive" to the fact
>	that their availability might "come in handy" in the plane - not to
>	speak of the legality of flying without them.

Airframe and Engine logbooks are not legally required to be in the
plane.  Remember ARROW for the required documents?

Airworthiness Certificate
Radio Licence
Registration (N number, etc)
Operating Limitations (i.e. placards and instrument markings)
Weight and Balance

At my former flying clubs the logbooks were kept under lock and key by
the chief A&P.
--
Peter Fales

UUCP:  ...ihnp4!iwlc7!psfales
Work: Bell Labs IW-1Z243
W: (312) 979-7784
H: (312) 355-4254

[ Send lawyers, guns, and money; Dad, get me out of this. ]

kfr@hou5h.UUCP (06/25/84)

It is my understanding that the only REQUIRED paperwork in the
aricraft is that you must carry an OAR.

	O - operating limitations
		flight manual OR placards
	A - airworthiness certificate
	R - registration

The radio licnse must be carried only if a radio transmitter is
to be used (FCC regs, not FAA).
The flight manual is generally not required for most ASEL, unless
required by the type certificate. For most small planes, appropriate
placards and ASI markings will surfice.