Carter@RUTGERS.ARPA (08/30/84)

From:  _Bob <Carter@RUTGERS.ARPA>

    Date: Thursday, 30 August 1984  10:22-EDT
    From: OAF%MIT-OZ at MIT-MC.ARPA
    To:   hplabs!hao!seismo!brl-tgr!wmartin at UCB-VAX.ARPA
    cc:   aviation at MIT-MC.ARPA
    Re:   B-36 nomenclature

    20-year-old memories of Revell model kits:
    	B29 superfortress
    	B36 buffalo.
    [Second listing sounds questionable in my mind.  I thought Soviet
    bombers were listed by critter names.]

Are you thinking of the Brewster Buffalo?  This was a lusing 1939-
vintage fighter that never received a U.S. type designation.  I
believe it saw @i(brief) service against the Imperial Japanese
Air Forces in the Dutch East Indies.

_B

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (09/01/84)

>From:  _Bob <Carter@RUTGERS.ARPA>
>
>    Date: Thursday, 30 August 1984  10:22-EDT
>    From: OAF%MIT-OZ at MIT-MC.ARPA
>    To:   hplabs!hao!seismo!brl-tgr!wmartin at UCB-VAX.ARPA
>    cc:   aviation at MIT-MC.ARPA
>    Re:   B-36 nomenclature
>
>    20-year-old memories of Revell model kits:
>    	B29 superfortress
>    	B36 buffalo.
>    [Second listing sounds questionable in my mind.  I thought Soviet
>    bombers were listed by critter names.]
>
>Are you thinking of the Brewster Buffalo?  This was a lusing 1939-
>vintage fighter that never received a U.S. type designation.  I
>believe it saw @i(brief) service against the Imperial Japanese
>Air Forces in the Dutch East Indies.

The Brewster also saw service at Midway.  It was called the ``Flying Coffin'',
and was hopelessly outclassed by the Zero.  The Zero could fly faster level
than the Buffalo could safely dive.  This is not to say that they were
ineffective. In ``Miracle At Midway'',  the author, Prange, reports that
pilots from the Japanese carrier Soryu reported 30 to 40 Wildcats (a plane
far superior to the Brewster, but not a match for the Zero) when Midway had
only six Wildcats altogether.  Brewster pilots sustained disasterous losses,
and most of the planes that made it back were shot up beyond repair, with
dozens or hundreds of bullet holes.  In spite of all this, they caused
significant losses to the Japanese, mostly because the Zero had no armor and
no protection against fuel leakage or fire.

	``Fourteen out of twenty-six pilots would never answer another roll
call, and a number of others were wounded.  Only two of the fighter aircraft
were ever to fight again ... Nagumo's offical report claimed forty-one American
fighters definitely shot down ... with nine probables.  Now fifty hits out of
twenty-six is pretty good shooting, one must admit.  If every Marine fighter
in the air looked to the enemy like two, they must have given a very
respectable account of themselves.  Indeed, in view of the caliber of aircraft
they were flying, it is little short of a miracle that any survived, let alone
inflicted any damage whatsoever ...''
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou5d!mat